Churches of Goa
Basilica of Bom Jesus : Built in 16th century Basilica of Bom Jesus is the most popular and famous of all churches in Goa. The mortal remains of St. Francis Xavier, kept in a silver casket, are enshrined here. This church dedicated to Infant Jesus is now a world Heritage Monument.Se Cathedral, North Goa
Se Cathedral : It is the most imposing of all churches in Old Goa and is around 9 kilometers from the capital city Panaji. This magnificent cathedral was built in the 16th century under the Portuguese rule in India. Its vaulted interior overwhelms the visitors by its sheer grandeur. This Cathedral has five bells of which one is the famous Golden bell, the biggest in Goa and one of the best in the World. The church is dedicated to St. Catherine of Alexandria.
St. Francis of Assisi Church, North Goa : The Church of St. Francis of Assisi is located in Old Goa at a distance of about 10 kms from Panaji. The Church of St. Francis of Assisi of Goa was built during 1517-1521 AD. St. Francis of Assisi Church of India has now been turned into a museum. An interesting fact about the church is that the architectural style of the church has a mix of Christian and Hindu elements. The interiors of the church are decorated with depictions from the Bible whereas the walls are carved with floral designs.
Church of Our Lady of Rosary : One of the earliest built in Goa, it bears an inscription about the conquest of Goa by Afonso de Albuquerque in 1510. It was built in the 16th century. The imposing structure has significant historical importance, which makes it one of the most visited places in Goa. The church is located near the Basilica of Bom Jesus. The architecture of the church is a mix of renaissance and later Gothic styles.
The Church of Holy Spirit : The Holy Spirit Church is one of the most important and architecturally brilliant churches in Goa. The Church stands beautifully at the Largo De Igreja – Church Square in Margao. The Church was built in 1675 during the Portuguese rule in Goa. The Church of Holy Spirit, a beautiful white facade stands tall in the Old Market square of the buzzing commercial town of Margao in South Goa. It is believed that to build this church, the Portuguese had destroyed the Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Damodar that stood on this spot. Later, Muslim soldiers demolished the newly constructed church, which was again rebuilt and destroyed on several occasions. Since its consecration in 1675, the structure has endured the test of time.
Rachol Seminary, South Goa (Patriarchal Seminary of Rachol) : Rachol Seminary, also known as the Patriarchal Seminary of Rachel is the diocesan major seminary of the Primal Catholic Archdiocese of Goa and Daman.
The Rachol Seminary Goa is a place of great spiritual significance for the denizens of Goa as it endorses Hinduism, Islam and Christianity in Goa. It is a major tourist attraction in Goa and is visited by numerous tourists all through the year.
St. Alex Church, South Goa Curtorim : This is a 400 plus year old Portuguese built church with a very lovely lake view. It was built in 1597 amidst a scenic natural backdrop of a lake Angoddi Tollem across woods on the site of an ancient Hindu temple dedicated to the deity Ravalnath (a form of Lord Shiva). The church of St Alex was first a chapel church, in 1808 it was converted to a church. This church once housed the Kudtari/Kundodari Mahamaya temple deities, now currently located in Ghudo Avadem.